My Rambling Random Thoughts

Just a bunch of words written down in spare moments

Links

webhome

bloghome

prototype

Archives

07.04
08.04
12.04
01.05
07.05
08.05
10.05
11.05
02.06
03.06
06.06
08.06
09.06
11.06
12.06
01.07
02.07

decoration

late night on ubuntu - 10.25.2005

I've been spending the last few weeks tweaking my computer after installing Ubuntu 5.10. Previously I had run Fedora Core 4, but I've had a lot of problems after a Fedora Core 3 to Fedora Core 4 upgrade. Ubuntu works really well and I'm really happy with the available selection of packages although its a bit strange to me to have no updates available on a daily basis like Fedora. I can't figure out if its a good thing or a bad thing

So far, the things I like the most about Ubunu are:

1) Ubuntu has an overall better desktop experience than other distros I've tried. For example, my mulimedia keys work.
2) Better packaging system. Apt is faster than yum. Synaptic is a much better application than yumex.
3) A wider selection of applications. Less compiling is a good thing.
4) Gnome 2.12. Includes menu editing (finally). Also provides some file manager improvements.

I still think that Fedora has better user forums although I think Ubuntu has better documenation with it's wiki.

I'm getting closer everyday to finally leaving Windows behind. In fact, I just formatted my last ntfs partition and my system is completely Windows free.

Overall, I'm happy with my switch to Ubuntu. We're getting pretty close to Linux on the Desktop.





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?