My Rambling Random Thoughts

Just a bunch of words written down in spare moments

Links

webhome

bloghome

prototype

Archives

07.04
08.04
12.04
01.05
07.05
08.05
10.05
11.05
02.06
03.06
06.06
08.06
09.06
11.06
12.06
01.07
02.07

decoration

Sleeping with Borges - 8.18.2005

I've spent the last week reading an anthology of Borges' work in the sleepless hours of night, working towards the short story Man On A Threshold which was the story that Pheobe instinctively turned to when we met outside a library in Oakland. It has a chance meeting; she had asked me for a cigarette and as I fished around my bag for a box of American Spirits she saw two bottles of wine, endless wires and coins, and Borges book, which she took interest in.

She took the book and opened it up randomly and started reading. I told her, "I am a Man On A Threshold today. I've just been released from jail and my story is on the front page. I am on the verge of something new. I am reborn and today. I'm starting a new phase of my life where I will be happy and fulfilled. And it starts in six days when I leave California for good." We read the first few chapters together and after a beautiful moment we parted ways.

That was six months ago. That beautiful woman is now only a faded memory. I had almost forgotten how I felt that day, but tonight, with Borges' help, I remember. Now having reread Man On A Threshhold and as I continue on to The Aleph I vow to reconnect with that moment in time.





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?